At first, I thought this recipe only provided a developer’s perspective on how to make a great video game. But, as a gamer, I realized that my recipe would look very similar to a developer’s. I either want the ingredients listed below, or I experience some of these feelings while playing a great game. The developer might feel a sense of accomplishment after they finish making a complex game and ship it. I might feel a sense of accomplishment after I beat their challenging work. This recipe should work for everyone.
- 15 pounds of love
- 9 pounds of fun
- 5 pounds of creativity
- 8 cups of joy
- 5 cups of wonder and awe
- 2 heaping cups of beauty
- 1 cup of a sense of accomplishment
- 1/4 cup of sweat
- 2 tablespoons of challenge
- 1 level tablespoon of immersion (not too much so as to avoid addiction)
- a pinch of anger (optional – depending on mood and temperament)
- a pinch of frustration (optional – depending on mood and temperament)
- code and other technical stuff for garnish
Preheat oven to 400°F. In a large bowl, mix all ingredients until combined. Pour mixture into baking tray and cook for 50 minutes or until golden. Serve immediately with fresh microchips.
What’s your recipe for a great video game?